Thursday, July 25, 2013

One Lump Or Two?

Over the weekend, my mom took me to The High Tea Cottage to experience my first afternoon tea.  This is something my mom has been waiting to do with me for years. It is one of her all-time favorite things. I was ecstatic to join her!



Our table was set with delicate dishes, two tea cups, and matching saucers.  My mom's china pattern was floral and mine was full of butterflies.  My favorite item on the table had to be the tiny teaspoon with a teeny teapot on the tip of the handle.  I very much fancied that!

First, we had to select a tea. The cottage owner brought over the tea trolley. We got to smell different types of tea. There was such a variety of choices. After smelling four teas, I selected Belgian Chocolate. My mom chose Windsor Castle (it's a mild, black tea).



Then came the delicacies. I had a cucumber and butter sandwich, chicken and cranberry sandwich (both with the crusts cut off, of course), fresh scone with devonshire cream, lemon curd, and peach-strawberry jam. Last but definitely not least, I had dainty fruit tarts and a cream puff for dessert.


I can't wait to go back again!


Have you ever been to high tea?  If so, where is your favorite place to go?

High tea or afternoon tea has a long history.  Do you know any facts about this old tradition?

Is there something special that you enjoy doing with your mom?


3 comments:

  1. Dear Mallory,

    What a lovely day you had with your mother! I could not stop smiling as I read it. Your wonderful writing really helped me visualize what happened, and I felt like I was right there with you at the event. Well done, Mallory!

    You asked if I am doing anything special with my mom. As a matter of fact, I am sitting with my 83 year old mother right now! We are enjoying time together at our family lake cottage. My mom is a former piano teacher, and we enjoy singing together as she plays the piano. Here she is playing You're a Grand during a Fourth of July celebration. Sing along with us!

    I'll be curious to learn some facts about high tea! I don't know much about that tradition.

    Your proud former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis




    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mallory,
    I loved reading your post and viewing your photos!
    Because my daughter lives in the UK, I have attended
    many special "tea encounters", both in the UK and the
    USA.
    My very favorite afternoon tea was in Bath, England.
    We had just visited the famous Roman Baths and stepped into a tiny cottage for some lovely tea. It was the first time I had Devonshire clotted cream - one of the finest I have been told!
    I fell in love with it, and my daughter always buys some for me when I visit her in Oxfordshire.
    Thanks for reminding me of some lovely memories.
    Sincerely,
    Mrs. Chalfin:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mallory,

    Thank you the wonderful blog post - it brings out very fond memories for me. Although I live in California, I've been to England and Scotland many times and they drink a LOT of tea. I've been to a couple of "low teas" as well and it is a very enjoyable experience. I LOVE scones with clotted cream and fresh jam. It is a great way to be able to wind up the day in such a peaceful activity.

    Thanks for the memories!

    Mr. Miller

    ReplyDelete